Sunday 5 July 2015

Next steps in Reading . . .

Dear Parents 
I will be diving into inferencing next Term (although I've dabbled in it here and there)

I LOVE to start with this book:

It is quite a simple read with MANY opportunities for the children to use their inferring skills.  

I first start off by reading it orally and talking about what inference really means-

Use the text clues
+
Use what I know 
=
Inference

The kids catch on pretty quickly! 

Then on the second day we use an organizer to fill in our thinking.  I find that this helps those that  need a visual, will understand more clearly after practicing it this way.



The sample is filled in with references to "The Stray Dog," but it could be used with any book!

When reading with your child remember to discuss those hidden meanings and try to let your child respond to the book in their own words.

No comments:

Post a Comment